Monday, September 1, 2008

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

So I haven't posted here in a while. That's usually the case with blogs, at least when it comes to my terrible blogging habits. I get tired of them and then forget I have one and simply make another when I feel the urge to blog again. I don't even know how many of my online journals are out there on the internet now - probably more than I can count using two hands. On a different note, French keyboards are weird. I'm still having a hard time typing on them because the keys are in different places. Not all of them, but a lot of them. So I've been in France for almost a week now. I never know what day of the week it is here because I'm not really keeping track of time. Why bother, when I'm on vacation and have no deadlines to worry about. And it's not as though I'm counting the days until I go home or anything.

I'm staying at my uncle's flat in Nice, which is located in the southern part of the country, very close to Italy. Actually we drove to Italy just yesterday, into a city called Genova. Didn't stay too long though, not even for a full day. I think tomorrow we're taking a train to Paris, which is about five hours away. I can't wait to visit the city I've heard so many good things about. I've also heard that it's touristy, but who freaking cares? It's not as though I'm pretending to be anything other than a tourist while I'm here. I don't deny it, not in the slightest. In fact, I relish the fact. I get to be a tourist in a place like Paris, how cool is that?! I want to see all the touristy spots like the Effiel Tower and the Louvre and Oscar Wilde's grave. I want to eat lots of bread and see the thousands of couples walking around at night and listen to people jabber away in French while having myself a field day trying to decipher what they're saying. Yeah, I am a tourist! I am one of the many Americans who are pretty ignorant of the French culture and language (doesn't help that I took Spanish in high school) but hey, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it while I'm here. And I intend to enjoy it, every minute of it. Who knows when I'll have the chance to come back to Europe again? Never say never, but there are a lot of other places around the world that I want to see before making second visits.

By the way, I am reading The Picture of Dorian Grey for the second time and loving every minute of it. Oscar Wilde is a genius, not to mention downright hilarious. Much like David Tennant, whose awesome performance in RSC's Hamlet will give me something to rave about later. (Trust me, once I get started I won't be able to stop.) Dude, British actors are so cool. They know how to articulate themselves in interviews as well as in person, not to mention they can do all sorts of crazy accents at will. And they're so modest too. I absolutely adore them! I wish we had BBC in America so I could watch Doctor Who. Better yet, I wish I lived in England so I could walk a couple blocks down to the main square and get my fill of museums and musicals and theatre because by golly, America doesn't even come close when it comes to quality entertainment. (Yes, I used the word "golly," so what? It could have easily been worse.) All we have is Hollywood and face it, that's getting old fast. There's hardly any movies that come out these days that hasn't been done before, whether it started out as a book or a comic or some sort of short film. Hollywood stopped being original a long time ago. To be fair, Shakespeare isn't exactly novel either (17th century dude!) but prior to coming to England I had no idea that theatre could be so satisfying as an intellectually stimulating (as well as fun) form of entertainment. Sometimes more so than a well-made movie (not better than The Dark Knight though) even. I just wish we had more of that in the States. And I really wish our claim to fame/pop culture wasn't limited to what's on the streets of Los Angeles and New York.

I'll end this right now with some wise Wilde words: "Life is too important to take seriously."

Seriously!

No comments: