Sunday, October 12, 2008

Got books?

I've recently discovered something about myself that I probably knew all along but just never really wanted to admit.

I can't dislike people who like to read. I just can't. It doesn't matter how far-fetched their ideas are or how different their opinions might be from my own - as long as they have that one little detail connecting me back to them then I just can't dislike them. I have nothing but admiration for people who are genuinely able to enjoy the written word. Maybe that's a dumb reason to like someone (or not to like someone) but I always end up giving heavy readers the benefit of the doubt. They can say something totally outrageous and offensive to me and I will actually think about what they said instead of dismissing them in my head like I would someone who never reads books.

It's biased for sure but that's the way it is.

The sad truth is that I'm extremely weird when it comes to first impressions. These are always the things I notice first:

1) Hands. (Call me weird but I believe that you can tell a lot about someone just by looking at their hands.)
2) Laugh.
3) Speaking and/or writing ability (and then I can usually tell how much they read).

No comments: